Sunday, March 30, 2008

Useful knowledge to pass along...

Here are some recent fun(ny) things we have discovered as a family. Thought you might enjoy reading them yourselves ( or laughing at our craziness in trying some of them :)

  • Frozen grapes are great! If you have grapes that aren't going to last long, don't put them in the trash, put them in the freezer. They keep nicely, and my kids thought they were so fun to eat! My husband says he used to do this with other fruit, too, like cherries.

  • On Saturday morning, I woke up with a nasty cold in my eye. It was all runny and junky. My son had the same thing several weeks ago, so I guess that I was just late in catching it from him. Anyway, I read somewhere that you could put tea on an eye infection to clear it up. Something about the antioxidants in the tea or something, I dunno. So, I brewed a hot, strong cup of regular Lipton tea. Then I used a cotton ball to gently squeeze some into my eye. It didn't sting, it just felt warm. Well, wouldn't you know, that eye infection cleared right up! Wish I had known that a month ago for Eli....Hey, don't blame me for this being gross, it really worked!

  • Broiler pans are great! No, I had never owned one before, and the other day I saw a recipe that called for one. So, we bought one the next time we were at the store, and I've been having a lot of fun with it. So far, we've broiled pineapple, meat, steak, and made reuben sandwiches. I'd like to try veggie kabobs next....

  • Homemade frozen waffles are better than store bought ones! The next time you make some (easy recipe can be found in Better Homes and Gardens cookbook), make a double batch, and put the extra in freezer bags. Then, just put them in the toaster like you would a frozen waffle from the store. They're much better, and better for you too!

  • Finally, we have discovered that giving a 23 month old a Little Debbies chocolate cake on the way home from the grocery store, even if he was a really good boy, is not a good idea! Live and learn, folks :)

2 comments:

Beka said...

I love your new blog! And these are great tips. I was especially enthralled with the whole tea-for-the-eye-infection thing. Ve-ry interesting.

Anonymous said...

Added to feedreader and looking forward to more posts :-)

Great idea. I knew about that tea-thing and it's great against allergy itching eyes. Only works with black tea though.