Monday, March 31, 2008

Finding that quiet time

We had a Women's Retreat at our church this past week-end. Our speaker was a missionary who has spent much time in Mexico City. She was encouraging everybody, whether or not you are actually called to missions, to spend time praying for missions!

She then went on to tell the story of a retired gentlemen who had a whole room of his house devoted simply to missions. There were maps all over his walls, books and information on his desk. He spent, are you ready for this? He spent 8 hours every day praying for missions. Four in the morning, four in the evening.

I was really challenged by this story! What a committed believer this man was! Even though he couldn't travel himself, or wasn't called to be a missionary, he was serving the same cause of Christ by praying whole-heartedly right there in his house. I wonder how many hundreds or thousands of people will be in heaven because of him?

Now, I am a stay-at-home mom, with two toddlers, both three and under, with another on the way. There is absolutely no way I could spend 8 hours a day in prayer. My walls would probably be permanently colored in Crayola crayon were I to do that! Many other tasks call to me day in and day out, most important of which is caring for my children.

However, while I may not have 8 hours, can I find one hour? I know it's rough sometimes. I really want to spend that time with the Lord, but in order to do so, I almost have to be up before my kids. I've tried delaying it until their nap time, or some other more convenient time during hte day, but it just doesn't work! Either I get distracted with other things, or I'm just too tired by that point in the day. So....

Seeing that my kids arise at 6:30, if I want an hour to spend with God, then I need to be up by 5:30. Let me tell you honestly, this is not easy for me! I am much more of a night owl than a morning lark! But, I've found that making that time is so worth it! Here are some things that may get you started on your own quiet time.

A time of day

I've found it helpful to pick one time of day, always the same time, and designate that as my 'quiet time'. Now, if you don't have little ones, then you may be fortunate enough to avoid the un-earthly hour of 5:30 a.m., and I hope for your sake that you can. But whatever time it is, be it morning, afternoon or night, have that specific time always set aside.

A place

Pick a place that can be 'your' place for reading and prayer. A favorite chair, the kitchen table with some hot coffee, whatever. Seeing that I get up pretty early, I usually prefer to just snuggle under the covers of my bed, so I keep my Bible and prayer journal on my night-stand. ( My husband gets up even earlier than me, so he's usually up and about by the time I wake up)

A study

Whether you choose to read through a paticular devotional book, or just read through a book of the Bible, choose something that you can be consistant with each day. I also find it helpful to keep a small note-book that I can write down my thoughts in for that paticular days reading.

A conversation

Always make prayer a part of your daily quiet time. My pastor's wife shared a specific prayer method with me that I really like. She specifies different days for different matters of prayer. For example, Monday you might pray for your family. Tuesday might be for your pastor and church family. Wednesday might be for missions. Thursday might be for politics and government leaders, etc, etc. This way, you're not caught at your prayer time stumbling around and wondering what to say to God. Or, if you have a limited amount of time, and not 8 hours every day, you do not need to feel guilty for not praying for everything on your prayer list every day!

Meditation

Finally, take time to meditate. And by this, I simply mean concentrating on a paticular passage or verse that really stood out to you that day. Read it over several times, thinking about the meaning. Think how it applies to your life, and maybe write down your thoughts in your note-book. Spend some time praising God for His Word, and thanking Him for your blessings.



Well, I hope this has been helpful and not over-load for everybody! I know I was really challenged by the '8 hour a day' guy, and it just made me really evaluate and take a second look at my own prayer time. Hope it can be an encouragment for you too!




Photo Credits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer

No comments: