Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A blessed protection

I learned an important lesson last night....

I had a very hard day with my children yesterday. They were arguing, yelling and fighting the entire day. They would come to me crying for no reason whatsoever. When I gave them a simple command, they would challenge my authority and disobey. I was frustrated and tired. I was feeling defeated, by my own children! It was one of those days when you feel like "I have worked so hard the past three and a half years to train them, teach them, and discipline them, and this is how far we've come??"


Enter my prince, my knight in shining armor, my hero in this case. My husband.

Last night I sat in bed and poured it all out to him. Yes, I complained some. Yes, I told him all the bad things that had happened yesterday. Yes, I told him that I was feeling frustrated, tired and defeated. And guess what! He didn't laugh. He didn't get upset or question my abilities as a mom. He rubbed my shoulder, he offered kind suggestions, and reassured me of my calling to do a good job with my children, despite the bad days. Then he prayed for me. He prayed for God's strength for the following days, and for my ability to find the joy in them and my children.


And you know what, after he prayed, I didn't feel nearly as angry or upset anymore. In fact, I felt a nice peace that I hadn't felt all day. What is that verse?

"For the husband is the head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body." --Ephesians 5:23

Could it be that our husbands, when allowed to be our 'heads' as God intended it, are able also to have the same kind of 'healing power' over us that Christ has over the church? Now, obviously, I mean this in much 'lesser' terms, but do you see the picture I'm trying to draw here?


Wives, don't ever buy into the feminist ideas that we are completely fine by ourselves, and that we can do everything men (our husbands) can do. I find this very false. I need my husband!! That was proven once again to me last night. Let the feminist ladies try to do it on their own. But for me, I'm glad for the loving protection of my husband that God has put over me.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

So true. I have often felt that incredible peace after pouring out my worries to my husband and having him commit them to the Lord! A blessing indeed.