Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Encouraging Creative Kids, Asking for Input!

I try to make each day meaningful with my children. There are some days when we're 'out and about', such as running errands, going to doctor's appointments, grocery shopping, whatever. But, the days when we are home greatly out-number the others. So, I try to think of creative ways to encourage my kids to spend their time. Yes, they are still really little, and yes, they do spend the majority of their time just 'playing'. But, I also know that their little minds are like sponges right now, and I want them to have many enjoyable, educational, soul-enriching things to do during the day. Following are some of my favorites:

  • Reading books together, or by themselves
  • Going to the library
  • Helping Mommy bake or cook
  • Coloring
  • Doing 'school-work' (which at their age, is simply having educational fun at the kitchen table)
  • Playing with play-dough
  • Taking walks and trying to identify flowers
  • Learning how to do new things, like set the table or shine the windows
  • Listening to books on tape or CD

Even so, I still feel like I could use some more fun activities for them to do sometimes! They still manage to come to me with the frequent 'I'm bored!'. So, I'm curious.....What types of things do your toddlers like to do? What interesting activities have you come up with to keep them busy and happy? Leave me some comments and let me know...I'm seriously interested in your input on this! :)

No comments: